City Works Literary Journal
Since 1994, City Works has been publishing the poetry, fiction, prose, and artwork of City College Students along with the work of local, national, and international writers and artists. Over 50% of the work in the journal is by student writers, poets, and artists. These pieces are chosen by the student editors of the Introduction to Creative Writing course that is team-taught by the City College Creative Writing faculty. The students in this course evaluate every submission and their rankings determine the Best Student Fiction Award, the Best Student Poetry Award, the Best Student Creative Nonfiction Award and the award for the Best Student Cover Design. The faculty editors select the Featured Writer from a pool of noteworthy local authors. Finally, the winner of the National Award is chosen by the faculty editors from a pool of hundreds of submissions from around the country. Recent writers featured in the journal include Steve Kowit, Mary Williams, Jim Miller, Sue Luzzaro, and Manuel Paul Lopez. Our intention is to create a journal that reflects the identity and character of San Diego City College, provide a venue for emerging local artists, broaden our reach nationally, and encourage interaction between the college and the community at large.
City Works can be purchased at the San Diego City College Bookstore.
2017 Call for Papers
Writers and Artists Published: We publish the work of emerging and established national and local writers and artists from the San Diego City College student body and community
Payment and Prizes Awarded: We do not pay contibutors; however, a $50 prize will be awarded for outstanding work in the following categories: Student Poetry, Student Fiction, Student Nonfiction, Student Art/Photography, and Student Cover Design. There will also be a $100 prize awarded to a National Award winner who is not a student at San Diego City College. All other national contributors published will receive one free copy of City Works Journal.
Deadline February 24th, 2017
City Works will accept the following electronic submissions from San Diego City College students, staff, and faculty, from the San Diego community at large, and national writers and artists.
• Poems: Maximum of 3, sent as a PDF or RTF file
• Creative Nonfiction: 1 piece of up to 2,500 words sent as a PDF or RTF file
• Fiction: 1 piece of up to 2,500 words, sent as a PDF or RTF file
• Artwork & Photography: A maximum of 3 pieces, sent as a JPEG file
- All work must be original (non-English submissions must include English translations)
- Do not put your name on your manuscript
- Include a biography in the body of your email (no more than 50 words)
• Journal cover (Open to Students Only): Submit your cover designs as a JPEG file
All entries: Email your submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
and include the following:
- Your Name and 50 word Bio (3rd person)
- Indicate if you are a student, staff, or Faculty of SDCCD
- Indicate the genre of each submission (Poetry, Fiction, Creative Nonfiction, or Art)
Off-campus submissions: Email submissions to email@example.com.
You will be notified via email regarding acceptance notification and/or work we cannot accept.
Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org