Workshops and Information Sessions are conducted by the Counseling Department throughout the year and are designed to facilitate student success.
Click here for a calendar of workshop dates and times (below)
- Academic Success Workshops (ASW): designed for students who have been disqualified from attending City College and would like to learn key academic success principles and strategies; required for students who have been disqualified from attending City College for the first time and would like to be considered for re-admission. If you received an email informing you of your loss of Board of Governors Fee Waiver (BOGW) eligibility, this workshop will also provide with information on how to submit a Loss of BOGW/Enrollment Priority Petition, which requires that you meet with a Counselor and submit the petition to the Dean of Student Development by the following deadlines:
- Deadline to submit BOGW Appeal Petition for Summer 2017 session - MAY 2 @ 5:00pm
- Deadline to submit BOGW Appeal Petition for Fall semester - Early July
- Deadline to submit BOGW Appeal Petition for Spring semester - October
- Financial Aid Appeal/Education Plan Workshop: If you have been disqualified from Financial Aid you will need to attend this workshop before submitting your appeal. If you do not already have a comprehensive Educational Plan on file (you would have completed one during a 1 hour counseling appointment), you will need to meet with a counselor after viewing the workshop video to have an abbreviated, 2-semester education plan completed which will need to be submitted with your appeal.
- New Student Educational Planning Workshops: designed for new students with previous college experience and returning students to City College, this group workshop is the last step to qualify for registration priority and to fulfill the requirements of the Student Success Program. In addition to the Online Orientation, this workshop will review important topics to get you started on your first semester. You will also have the opportunity to briefly meet one-on-one with a counselor to develop an "Abbreviated" 2-semester plan. New Student Educational Planning Sessions are scheduled in:
April - May for new Summer session students
June - August for new Fall semester students
November - January for new Spring semester students
- Student Success Day: All new students with no previous college experience are required to attend this workshop. You must first complete the New Student Online Orientation and take the English and Math Assessment exams BEFORE registering for this event. Enjoy a morning filled with motivational speakers, special presentations, campus tours, a Resource Fair, and instructional department workshops. You will finish the morning with an educational planning session where you will receive academic counseling and select courses for your first two semester.
*Reservations are required and can be made by calling the Counseling Department at 619.388.3540 or stopping by building E-2. Seating is limited, on a first-come, first-serve basis. Reserve your seat as soon as possible!