Board of Governors Waiver (BOGW)

State law requires that students attending a community college pay an enrollment fee. Students enrolled in credit classes are currently required to pay $46 per unit. If you need help with the enrollment fee, the Board of Governors Fee Waiver is a state-funded program that waives the enrollment fee for all eligible students.  

 Paper BOG Fee Waiver applications are available only during registration periods until the start of each semester's census date. You are strongly encouraged to complete the FAFSA application for the BOG Fee Waiver and for additional Federal and State aid.

You can complete a paper BOG Fee Waiver application or the online BOG application if you meet one of the following conditions:

  • You are receiving TANF (Current documentation must be submitted)
  • You are receiving SSI (Supplemental Security Income) (Current documentation must be submitted)
  • You are receiving General Relief (Current documentation must be submitted)
  • You are in Default of a student loan
  • You are not able to provide Parental information
  • You are considered Independent for BOG Fee Waiver purposes only


The BOG Fee Waiver will no longer pay your student health fee charges unless you qualify for a BOG Fee Waiver as a recipient of TANF, SSI/SSP or General Relief (BOG A methodology). The health fee is currently $19 per semester (Fall and Spring) and $13 for Summer.

When registering for classes on Reg-e, it is very important to process your payment for all fees including the health fee immediately before exiting the system to avoid being dropped from classes.

BOG based on FAFSA

If you file a FAFSA, you may qualify for a BOG Fee Waiver if you have $1,104 of financial need after subtracting your Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) from your Cost of Attendance (COA).

BOG Based on Income Standards (2017-2018 school year)

To determine your eligibility for the Board of Governor's Waiver based on the income standards, you will be considered independent if:

  • You are 24 years of age or older (Born before January 1, 1994)
  • You are married or in a RDP (Registered Domestic Partnership)
  • You have children or other dependents that will receive more than half of their support from you between July 1, 2017 through June 30, 2018
  • When you were age 13 or older, both of your parents were deceased, you were in foster care or you were a dependent/ward of the court
  • You are or were an emancipated minor as determined by court in your state of legal residence
  • You are or were in a legal guardianship as determined by court in your state of legal residence
  • At any time on or after July 1, 2016, your high school or school district homeless liaison determined that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless
  • At any time on or after July 1, 2016, the director of an emergency shelter program funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development determined that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless
  • At any time on or after July 1, 2016, the director of a runaway or homeless youth basic center or transitional living program determined that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless or were self-supporting and at risk of being homeless
  • You are a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces or currently serving on active duty for purposes other than training
  • You do not live with one or both of your parents
  • You were not claimed as an exemption on any federal income tax filed by your parents or RDP in 2015

AB540 Students

Eligibility for the Board of Governor’s Fee Waiver (BOGFW) at the California Community Colleges became effective in January 2013. Eligibility for Cal Grant became effective for the 2013-2014 school year. AB540 students can complete the regular BOG Fee Waiver application for the 2017-2018 school year or they may complete the California DREAM Act application. 

To complete the California DREAM Act Application, click this link CA DREAM Act application.


 The California Domestic Partner Rights and Responsibilities Act extends new rights, benefits, responsibilities and obligations to individuals in domestic partnerships registered with the California Secretary of State under Section 297 of the Family Code. If you are in a Registered Domestic Partnership (RDP), you will be treated as an Independent married student to determine eligibility for this Fee Waiver and will need to provide income and household information for your domestic partner. If you are a dependent student and your parent is in a Registered Domestic Partnership, you will be treated the same as a student with married parents and income and household information will be required for the parent's domestic partner.

**These new provisions apply to state funded student financial aid ONLY, and not to the federal student financial aid programs.


4 $36,450
5 $42,660
6 $48,870
7 $55,095
Each Additional Family Member$6,240

These standards are based upon the federal poverty guidelines as published each year by the US Department of Health and Human Services. Under Title 5 of the California Code of Regulations, the income standards for the BOGFW program is equal to or less than 150% of the federal poverty guidelines for the base year.

These standards are for the 2017-2018 academic year and are to be used to determine BOG Fee Waiver eligibility effective with the Fall 2017 semester through the Summer 2018 semester.

This page was last updated on July 3, 2017.