Joining a Learning Community

How do I know which Learning Community is right for me?

Before you enroll in a Learning Community (or any class) it is recommended that you visit a counselor in room A-110.  Counseling services can help you determine your correct placement level in subjects such as English and Math, help you create an education plan, and help you create an appropriate class schedule each semester.

You need to have fulfilled the prerequisites for both (or all) classes in a Learning Community in order to enroll.


  • If you are a new student, it may be necessary for you to take an assessment test before you can be accurately placed.
  • If you have attended another community college or University in the past, you should send your previous transcripts to City College’s district offices at 3375 Camino Del Rio S. San Diego, CA 92108,  so that they may be evaluated.

How can I enroll in a Learning Community?

Choose a Learning Community
You can search for Learning Community classes in both the printed and Online Class Schedule under “Learning Community.”

Get the Learning Community CRN
You can register for a Learning Community using just one CRN.

You can register for classes online by using Reg-E.


  • If you’re a new student, you need to first apply to be a City College student.  Students may apply online or in person using a paper application in the Admissions Office (room A-112).  Once you have applied, then you may register for classes following steps 1, 2 and 3 above.
    Important: Additional requirements apply to high school and international students.
  • Also, you should either complete the necessary assessment tests or have your previous transcripts evaluated so you can decide which classes to start with.