The study of languages provides communication
skills, provides exposure to the richness of cultural
variety, increases transfer options to universities
with language requirements, opens new career
opportunities, enriches global travel, and provides
personal enrichment. The program is designed to
prepare students for transfer to a baccalaureate
institution and for proficiency in a language in a
variety of settings.
The Language program provides transfer level
courses in Arabic, French, German, Italian,
Spanish and Russian. Students develop skills of understanding, speaking, reading and writing,
culture and increase familiarity with basic features of
the English language. They also have opportunities
to become acquainted with the literature, culture,
history and current events of other countries
through films, videotapes, field trips and campus and
community international events.
Knowledge of another language is required or highly
desirable for consular and junior foreign service,
import, export, and international business and travel,
health and missionary fields, overseas teaching,
translating and interpreting, and travel and tourism
industries. Learning another language is an asset in
broadening communication skills and in the travel
and tourism industry.
Student Learning Outcomes
Students who complete the program will be able to:
- Demonstrate preparedness for successful transition to the language program of four year institutions.
- Demonstrate accurate foreign language grammar including writing, speaking, and listening in the target language.
- Discuss the social and cultural life of Foreign Language speakers in the target language
- Read and analyze writings in Foreign Language target areas.
- Accept and value other peoples.
Languages Clubs 2012