WELCOME TO THE ENGLISH DEPARTMENT!
Are you looking for an English class:
- to achieve an educational goal?
- to improve your reading and writing abilities?
- because youâ€™re a future English major who just wants to read literature, write poetry, and drink black coffee in a cafe?
We are passionate about creating exciting learning environments and real connections. When you study with us, you can become a part of:
Social Justice Conference
City Works literary journal
League for Innovation literary contest
Creative Writing program
Want to know more? We invite you to explore the information below. If you have any questions, please contact the department chairs:
Important Note: Due to Covid-19, Summer and Fall 2020 English classes will NOT be held on campus. There will be online class options that may offer live online sessions that are optional (WEB classes) as well as classes that offer live online sessions that are required. The required class times will be during the days and times listed on the class schedule.
Taking an English class your first semester is a great way to start at City College! We have several options for you to choose from based on your individual needs and preferences.
- Our ESL program is English Language Acquisition (ELAC), for non-native speakers of English
- Ready for transfer-level English? Take English 101 or English 105
- Ready for transfer-level Englishâ€¦ with some extra support? Take English 101X or English 105X
- Prefer to take a semester before transfer-level English? Take English 47A
English 101, 101X and 105, 105X fulfill general education requirements. Check with a counselor to see which option is best for you based on your goals. You may also need to take English 205.