Assessment Center L-207
We provide testing for:
- Placement tests for English, math and ESOL courses
- Apprenticeship assessment tests in math and English
- Ability to Benefit Test (ATB)
- CELSA Ability to Benefit for ESOL student
sample test questions
Accuplacer® TESTING TIPS AND Sample Questions
ESOL Sample Questions
Check out the official Accuplacer® Study App for iPhone
Important information about placement tests
Important information for students: The assessment tests should be taken very seriously. If you are not satisfied with your test results, you will need to wait three (3) years before being allowed to retake the test. Also, you cannot retake the test once you complete an English or math class at City, Mesa or Miramar College.
Your assessment test scores are used solely for the purpose of determining your skill level. Based on this skill level, entry into courses requiring a reading, writing or mathematics prerequisite skill level is determined. It is important to know, however, that these tests are meant for placement purposes only, they cannot keep you out of college.
Who should take an assessment test?
Students who plan to:
- Take English or Mathematics courses
- Take a course that has an English or math prerequisite or advisory
- Obtain an associate degree
- Transfer to a four-year college or university
Exemptions--You do not need to take an assessment test if:
- You already earned an Associate or higher-level degree
- You can prove that you have taken the equivalent English and Math classes at another college or university. *
- You have taken one of the following tests within the last two years and received the minimum required score or higher.*
- Test/Minimum Required Score
SAT – Engl /500
SAT – Math/ 560
ACT – Engl/22
ACT - Math/23
EAP/ “Ready for CSU College-Level English/Math Course”
You must submit official transcripts to the District office.
Instructions for submitting transcripts and test scores
Types of placement tests Offered
- Placement in English and Math classes·
- Multiple choice·
- Used for: all new students, Apprenticeship programs, Cosmetology
- Find test prep tips here: Accuplacer® Test Prep site. View the information for Sentence Skills, Reading Comprehension, Arithmetic and Elementary Algebra.
- English for Speakers of Other Languages
- Multiple Choice
- For placement into the ESOL course series
See the Apprenticeship site for requirements
Use the Accuplacer sample test to prepare.
Ability to benefit (ATB)
The Ability to Benefit (ATB) test is used to determine eligibility for federal financial aid for students who do not have a high school diploma or GED. This is taken separately from the placement test, and is a pass/fail test. The Financial Aid office will determine if you are required to take the ATB test.
We offer two versions of the ATB:
- Accuplacer ATB for students whose primary language is English
- CELSA ATB for ESOL Students
Testing is by appointment only. New Students should contact First Year Services to schedule testing.A 7-digit college student ID (CSID) number is required to sign up for testing. You received your CSID number via email after you submitted your application for admission. If you're not sure what your CSID number is, look it up on Reg-e. (Click the "Get Your CSID" button.)
You must bring a valid photo ID with you to test. No exceptions. The ID must include your name and a recognizable photograph. Original ID only; we cannot accept copies. The only acceptable forms of photo identification are any one of the following: current driver's license, state approved ID, college ID, current passport, naturalization card, current state or federal ID card, tribal ID card, certificate of citizenship.
Disability Support Programs & Services
Testing accommodations are also available for students with visual or mobility disabilities. For more information, please contact the Disability Support Programs and Services Office.