Written by: Paula Miranda, Professional Development Coordinator
Posted on: March 17, 2020
Last updated: April 8, 2020
Hello, everyone, and wishing you and your families well.
As we all do our best to respond to the COVID-19 public health emergency while supporting students and each other, I wanted to share some updates and information about what professional development at City College looks like in this moment.
To help decrease the amount of emails being shared and prevent circulation of outdated information, I will be posting new/corrected information here. Please check back throughout the weeks ahead until a new update is posted.
In this update:
- Support for Canvas, Zoom, and other services
- Training Schedule
- What do I do if my conference has been canceled?
As we move meetings and instruction to online spaces, please note the available help options below.
- Canvas 24/7 Helpdesk:
- Faculty: 1-844-612-7422
- Students: 1-844-612-7421
- Online Learning Pathways Team
- 8am-5pm Monday-Friday
- Canvas 24/7 Helpdesk:
- Zoom (also referred to as "ConferZoom")
- Open Labs
- Open Labs are Q&A sessions where various service providers on campus (i.e. CurricuNET,
Flex/Professional Development, Faculty Evaluations, Taskstream, etc.) come together
to provide drop-in support in one place. With campus being closed, we will be meeting
online. Come join us to get your questions answered! Details and new dates coming soon
- Open Labs are Q&A sessions where various service providers on campus (i.e. CurricuNET, Flex/Professional Development, Faculty Evaluations, Taskstream, etc.) come together to provide drop-in support in one place. With campus being closed, we will be meeting online. Come join us to get your questions answered! Details and new dates coming soon
- Recording Instructional Presentations
- The Office of Classroom Technology Management at City College is available for consulting
support for creating and recording instructional presentations. Contact 619-388-3418
- The Office of Classroom Technology Management at City College is available for consulting support for creating and recording instructional presentations. Contact 619-388-3418 (by appointment).
- Virtual Open Office Hours for Flex and Professional Development
- Drop in every Wednesday from 10:00am to 11:00am to ask questions, get assistance, and/or share ideas for instructional improvement and professional learning at City. Click here to join.
We are currently working to add trainings being offered by the campus, district, and state chancellor's office to the professional development calendar, which is posted below. Workshops that were scheduled as part of our professional development program, such as "Managing Our Unconscious Biases in the Workplace" are in the process of being re-scheduled.
>>>TIP: You can change the calendar view by click on the Week, Month, and Agenda tabs on the top right of the calendar. You can also filter the event categories by clicking on the upside-down triangle icon to the right of the Agenda tab, and selecting/de-selecting available calendars.
There may be department-specific trainings that are not included in the calendar.
As always, if you are offering workshops, please let us know by submitting the Professional Development / Flex Activity Submission form, which will add your activity to the professional development and Flex calendars. We are experiencing a high volume of support requests at the moment, but we hope to process your event within two business days.
Here are some on-demand, self-paced resources and trainings available to City College employees as we continue to transition instruction and campus services to the online space.
- DSPS Communication to Instructional Faculty
In light of the recent developments and directives with COVID 19, we recognize that we are all feeling a little bit outside our element. DSPS Leadership has come together to provide some special considerations and guidance to support you as you plan for a shift to alternative methods of instruction to ensure alignment with ADA/Section 504 & 508 standards. In general, DSPS recommends flexibility with course requirements and consultation with DSPS to help address individual instructional, student service or student needs. Please use these guidelines as you are implementing online format.
- Temporary Remote Instruction
Included in this course are resources to transfer, build, and offer instructional content online. Created by the SDCCD Online Learning Pathways team.
- Open OnDemand @ SDCCD
Video library of workshop recordings and tutorials from the SDCCD's Online Learning Pathways team.
- Instructional, Student Services, and Shared College Resource Information
A resource for emergency preparedness created by the California Virtual Campus - Online Education Initiative (CVC-OEI) of the California Community Colleges.
- California Community Colleges Vision Resource Center
The Vision Resource Center (formerly known as the Professional Learning Network) is an online learning and collaboration platform available to all employees in the California Community Colleges. Resources include eLearning modules related to CCC initatives and tutorials from LinkedIn (from Lynda.com), discussion forums, and an online community of employees sharing best practices. To get started, please take a moment to review this help article: Using the Vision Resource Center.
- Keenan SafeColleges
The San Diego Community College District is committed to providing safe and secure facilities for students, faculty, staff, and visitors. In support of this commitment, SDCCD is pleased to offer the Keenan SafeColleges online training system to our faculty and staff. We're confident you'll find these courses to be informative and helpful in maintaining a safe learning and working environment. You may access training modules through the link above. Once on the Keenan site, your District email address is your username. No password is required.
These resources, and more, can always be found on the professional development Resources page, categorized by employee category. If you have something you would like to add, please contact Paula Miranda.
We are still awaiting guidance from the District about how to address questions from employees who have made travel plans to attend conferences that have now been canceled or postponed.
What we know, so far:
- Each person has to cancel their own lodging by the refund date stated by the hotel.
- If you requested a payment advance (whereby the District paid for your registration,
lodging, or other fees), the refunds should be sent to:
3375 Camino del Rio South
San Diego, CA 92108-3883
- Consider asking the conference organizers whether they will be putting presentations online. NCORE, for example, canceled their conference today, but will be adding some of their presentations to their webinar series (check out their 2018-2019 and 2019-2020 playlists on YouTube)
If you have paid out of pocket for travel expenses to conferences that are now canceled or postponed, please check this page again for further updates as we receive them from the District.
Unless otherwise advised by the District or the State Chancellor's office, Spring 2020 Flex deadlines remain unchanged. Please make sure that you are logging in all of the meetings and webinars you have been attending in preparation for moving instruction online!
As a reminder, Spring 2020 Flex Deadline for all faculty (adjunct and contract) is May 26, 2020 by 12pm.
For inquiries about this update, or for questions, concerns, or ideas regarding professional learning and development at City College, please contact Paula Miranda.