Due to a staff training on Wednesday, September 18th 2019 from 8:00am-4:30pm. Our offices will operate on limited services due to staff training.
First Year Services is a year-long college support service focused on encouraging first year students towards academic achievement, social integration, and personal success with the assistance of a strong support network of peers, staff, and faculty. Through our extensive services, we help to ensure a successful transition into college by providing opportunities and resources for students to network, foster a sense of community, and participate in academic enrichment.
First Year Services supports a successful academic, social, and smooth transition into college. We are committed to assisting students by providing them with the support needed to become self-sufficient and complete their first year successfully. This support consists of technicians, counselors, and peer advocates, as well as personalized peer led seminars and events. We hope to cultivate confidence, structure, and self advocacy for students so they may achieve their academic pursuits.
First Year Services aims to ensure that all first year students receive the Ultimate Student Experience by connecting students to resources that promote belonging, wellness, and academic success. Our priority is to connect students with support programs and services needed to maximize their overall experience within our college. From the beginning of our students academic journey, we strive to provide a clear path to obtain equal opportunity for all San Diego City College students.
First Year Services aims to create the Ultimate Student Experience by providing one-on-one support with the following services:
- Financial Aid
- Assistance with the enrollment process
- Referrals to support services and resources available on campus
- Follow-up services: Early Alert and Two Year Comprehensive Educational Plan
- Assigned Technician - "Success Coach"
- Assigned Peer Advocate
- Monthly Events, Seminars, Workshops
- Monthly Incentives
Frequently Asked Questions
- Am I eligible for First Year Services?
- How can I benefit from participating in first year services
- How do I apply for first year Services?
1. Am I Eligible for First Year Services?
All new students are eligible for First Year Services. New students are those with less than 6 units completed. All new students are encouraged to attend Student Success Day an event that provides a resource fair and informative workshops to help gain life skills that will ease the transition into your first year. Through the support of First Year Services, Peer advocates, and establishing relationships with San Diego City College faculty, staff, and community, we believe this will lead you to the path of being a successful student!
2. How Can I Benefit from Participating in First Year Services?
All new students can benefit from participating in the First Year Services. Our priority is to connect students with support programs and services needed to maximize their overall experience within our college. From the beginning of our studentsâ€™ academic journey, we strive to provide a clear path to obtain equal opportunity for all San Diego City College students. As a first year student, you will benefit from the following services:
- Peer Advocate Center: Computer Lab available for students who need assistance with the completion of the 6 Steps for New Students.
- Assigned Support Technician: Who ensures your success through follow up services such as Early Alert and Two-Year Comprehensive Educational Plan referrals.
- Monthly Newsletter: Stay connected! Navigate the resources and opportunities that San Diego City College has to offers you.
- Assigned Peer Advocate: Your Support System! Here to help you navigate through your first year of college and beyond.
- Events and Seminars: Connect with your college community by networking with faculty and staff.
3. How do I Apply for First Year Services?
- To apply and be part of First Year Services complete a San Diego City College admissions application and complete the new student online orientation.
- You will then be welcomed by the First Year Services office and will be provided information regarding Student Success Day.