Statement of Purpose
Career Services is dedicated to serve diverse populations by offering an array of career-development activities that inspire and support each studentâ€™s lifelong career journey. Our dedicated staff work to assist students in developing career goals by exploring their values, skills, personality traits and interests in an inclusive and supportive environment. Through career counseling, workshops, comprehensive resources, specialized programs, and an employer presence we prepare students to make informed decisions about their future to support their career development.
Career Services Student Learning Outcomes:
- Career guidance
- Job postings and job search assistance
- Resume and Cover Letter reviews and guidance
- Resume Builder
- Interview preparation and practice
- Individualized career coaching
- Networking skills and strategies
- Professional development workshops
- Skills and personality assessments
Career Development Process
The 6 Stages of Modern Career Development provides a comprehensive framework for assessing skills and establishing learning outcomes that demonstrate knowledge of self, career paths, and academic and career opportunities. Career decision-making is a process, and you can set your own pace in pursuing career development accordingly. If you work with a career coach and take advantage of the Transfer and Career Center programs and resources you will be better prepared to make informed and meaningful career decisions.
*Adopted from the NCDA 6 Stages of Career Development. (2003) Casto. https://www.ncda.org/aws/NCDA/pt/sd/news_article/4729/_PARENT/CC_layout_details/false
Learn more about the career development process and receive resources here!
Job Search on Our Online Job Board!
San Diego City College uses College Central Network as its official job resource and resume system. The site is available 24/7 to students, alumni, and employers at
Download our app on your app store!
- Students, quickly apply to jobs and internship opportunities posted exclusively for you, and search other opportunities via Jobs Central and Intern Central, national job boards.
- Create and upload your resume and career portfolio to make available to employers.
- Access our events calendar, and career/job search advice documents, podcasts, videos and more.
- Review career fair information and company recruitment visits
Interested in hiring our talented students? Hire a Knight! Employers create a free profile to post unlimited jobs, search our talented student and alumni and much more!
Career counselors provide the foundation for acquiring the knowledge, skills, and attitudes that enable you to make a successful transition from school to the world of work. At San Diego City College we strongly encourage all students to first visit with us for a career counseling appointment prior to seeking an educational planning appointment.
YOU NEED A CAREER COUNSELING APPOINTMENT IF
- You have been in college at least 2 years and are still undecided about a career path
- You have decided on a major but don't know if it fits which your career choice
- Your friends/family/significant other are pressuring you into a career or major choice
- You have so many interests that you just can decide, and are afraid of making the wrong choice
- You are returning to the world of work but feel lost and out of touch
- You want to change your career, but don't know how
HOW TO MAKE A CAREER COUNSELING APPOINTMENT
- First visit the Counseling office Room A-366 for a 5 to 10 minutes intake assessment
- After a brief discussion with a counselor you may be referred to a 1 hour career counseling appointment
- Most times you are first referred to the Career Center by a counselor for Values Interest Personality and Skills (V.I.P.S). assessment prior to your one hour appointment
- Career counseling appointments can also be conducted in an online session through the college's online counseling services.