We provide a community-based learning environment to help City College students become more effective, confident and independent readers, writers and critical thinkers. In support of this mission, the English Center offers assistance for all disciplines through:
- One-on-one peer tutoring sessions
- Group tutoring
- Supplemental instruction
- Workshops for students and faculty
- One-unit refresher courses
- Consultations for faculty
- The opportunity for qualified students to gain experience as peer tutors and mentors
The English Center is dedicated to providing innovation in tutoring strategies, pedagogy, and quality training in all areas of tutoring, as well as ongoing collaboration with faculty, staff, administration, and other tutorial/learning centers.
- Acheive your academic goals at the
Tutorial / Learning Center
ELAC Lab - AH-206
The English Center is pleased to announce the addition of the ELAC Lab on the San
Diego City College campus. Located in AH-206, this new service offers support in English
Language Acquisition Learners (ELAC) skills and basic writing skills. There will also
be open lab hours when students can use special software to practice speaking, listening,
grammar, reading, and writing; read ELAC newspapers, or use the pay-for-print system.
See our Workshop Schedule for specific events occurring in the ELAC Lab. English Center
tutors will be available to support students working in the lab. Tutor hours will
be posted soon.
ELAC Lab in AH-206
Fall 2019 Open Lab Hours
Hours of Operation
Summer 2018 Hours of Operation
Fall 2019 Hours of Operation
Become an English Tutor!
Tutor Hiring Criteria
The English Center is dedicated to providing innovation in tutoring strategies, pedagogy, and quality training in all areas of tutoring. The Center is also committed to ongoing collaboration with faculty, staff, administration, and other tutorial/learning centers.
To be eligible for employment as a tutor at the English Center, potential tutors must meet the following criteria:
- Completed English 101 or equivalent with a grade of "B" or better.
- Submitted an English Center application along with a resume/CV and a writing sample
- Submitted at least one recommendation from a San Diego Community College District faculty member familiar with the applicant's writing, interpersonal skills, and experiences.
- Completed or currently enrolled in Education 100: Tutor Training. (Please note that completion of ED 100 is not a guarantee of employment.)
- Completed the San Diego Community College District application for employment and met all criteria listed within.
- Formally interviewed one or more times with designated English Center personnel.
Once these criteria have been met, potential tutors will be eligible for employment.
Exceptions may be made in specific cases as determined by the appropriate hiring personnel.
If you are interested in working as a tutor at the English Center, stop by L-209 for an application, or email Director Chris Baron at firstname.lastname@example.org.
English Center Application
Front desk: (619) 388-3633
Fax: (619) 388-3433
English Center Coordinator
Adjunct Professor, English
English Center Supervisor
- Online Coordinator
- Workshop Coordinator
- Program Development