Welcome to City College DSPS
disAbility Support Programs and Services (DSPS) assists San Diego City College to meet the requirements of federal laws (Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act) and SDCCD policy by ensuring access to equal educational opportunities.
DSPS aspires to create, support, and sustain an inclusive and fully accessible campus community.
We accomplish this important mission by:
- Serving as a resource, promoting self-advocacy, authorizing and coordinating accommodations, and providing professional development
- Believing equal access is the shared responsibility of the entire campus community
- Valuing disability as an integral aspect of diversity
- Developing collaborative partnerships that incorporate the principles of universal design, sustainability, and social justice
- Surpassing the standards of disability legislation to build a liberating campus community
- Challenging social norms that create barriers to ensure all members of the campus community feel welcome
Our Name-Why disAbility Support Programs & Services?
People assume with the "dis" part of "disability" that people with disabilities are without ability.
But..."DIS" prefix is not only "un" and "not" but has a Latin and Greek derivative meaning "duo" and "two" hence *another* way of doing and being.
We, at San Diego City College emphasize the Ability and keep the "dis" to acknowledge that disability, is an important part of someone's identity and yet also simply another way of doing and being.