Dear Campus Community and Academic Senate delegates,
Happy New Year 2023! We are looking forward to spending time with everyone as we return to our campus. Our Academic Senate is eager to keep working with our faculty, our administration, our district and the ASCCC (Academic Senate of Californina Community Colleges).
The Academic Senate's primary fuction is to make recommendations with respect to academic and professional matters specified on the 10+1.
- Curriculum including establishing prerequisites and placing courses within disciplines
- Degree and certificates requirements
- Grading policies
- Educational program development
- Standards or policies regarding student preparation and success
- District and college governance structures, as related to faculty roles
- Faculty roles and involvement in accreditation processes, including self-study and annual reports
- Policies for faculty professional development activities
- Processes for program review
- Processes for institutional planning and budget development
- Other academic and professional matters as are mutually agreed upon between the governing board and the academic senate
Our senate meetings are every other Monday from 2:30 to 4:30pm at MS-140. The meetings are public and everyone is welcomed! The more engagement from our faculty, the more powerful our senate becomes. Senators have a crucial role as they represent their departments/ programs when voting on issues presented at the senate.
We are eager to be able to engage in these meaningful and debatable matters that fall under the purview of our 10+1.
María-José Zeledón-Pérez, Ed.D - Academic Senate President
2022 - 2023 SDCC Academic Senate Executive Committee: Started Fall 2022
President: Maria-Jose Zeledon-Perez firstname.lastname@example.org
Past President & Comittee on Committees Chair: Mona Alsoraimi-Espiritu email@example.com
President of Chairs Cabinet: Soon-Ah Fadness firstname.lastname@example.org
Secretary: Norell Martinez email@example.com
Treasurer: Nick Slinglend firstname.lastname@example.org
Part-time Faculty Officer: Robert Chambers email@example.com
Curriculum Review Committee Chair: Jen Boots firstname.lastname@example.org
Leah Watters, Admin Assistant IV
2022-2023 SDCC Academic Senate Meeting Dates
GENERAL MEETINGS ARE HELD IN MS 140
- Academic Senate General Meetings from 2:30 PM - 4:30 PM in Room MS-140: 2/13, 3/6, 3/20, 4/10, 4/24, 5/8, 5/22.
- Academic Senate Executive Committee Meetings in Room A-305a: days and times will vary: 2/6 (2:30), 2/27 (3:45), 3/13 (3:45), 4/3 (2:30), 4/17 (3:45), 5/1 (2:30), 5/15 (3:45).
- Academic Senate General Meetings from 2:30 PM - 4:30 PM in Room MS-140: 9/11, 9/25, 10/9, 10/23, 11/6, 11/27, 12/11
- Academic Senate Executive Committee Meetings from 2:30 PM - 4:30 PM in Room A-305a. Days and times may vary: 8/28, 9/18, 10/2, 10/16 (3:15pm-5:15pm), 10/30, 11/13, 12/4
- Academic Senate General Meetings from 2:30 PM - 4:30 PM in Room MS-140: 2/12, 3/4, 3/18, 4/8, 4/22, 5/6, 5/20
- Academic Senate Executive Committee Meetings in Room A-305a. Days and times will vary: 2/5, 2/26, 3/11 (3:15pm-5:15pm), 4/1, 4/15, 4/29, 5/13
Shared governance, sometimes referred to as participatory governance, is the method in which campus constituent groups makes recommendations and participate in campus decision-making processes. As outlined in the statutory framework below, faculty have a specific role to play within the decision-making process as it pertains to academic and professional matters.
THE APPOINTMENT PROCESS
Faculty representation on committees is a vital part of shared governance. The SDCC Academic Senate has a Committee on Committees that appoints faculty to committees at the campus, district, or other affiliate level, which includes appointments to ad-hoc committees and to hiring committees for positions other than faculty. Per the Senate Bylaws, membership in newly-established committees as well as vacancies on existing committees are to be filled in this manner. A log of committee appointments is kept by the Academic Senate Committee on Committees. All faculty members on any committee are appointed by the Academic Senate (Part-time and Full-time).
Please review the different types of requests before submitting your forms:
- For faculty hiring committees: The department chair responsible for the faculty position being filled is responsible for completing this form: Request for Academic Senate Review of Faculty Assigned to a Hiring Committee.
Please have faculty interested in being on a hiring committee contact whomever is recruiting for that hiring committee (dean, chair of hiring committee, department chair, other designee) in order to be considered for the committee. All faculty need to have their EEO training completed before submitting their name to be in the hiring committee.
The Academic Senate Committee on Committees will review the final list as submitted by the department chair of the faculty position in question.
Any Contract employee who has completed the EEO & Diversity Training for Screening Committee Membership within the past three years may volunteer to serve in the specific role as EEO Representative for any committee regardless of recruitment classification or campus location. We strongly encourage you to consider volunteering at least once per year for this important role on a screening committee.
As you consider volunteering specifically in the EEO Representative role, please remember the following:
1. You may not serve as an EEO Representative on any screening committee for which your immediate supervisor, or their supervisor is the Chair of the Screening Committee.
2. You may volunteer with HR to serve as the EEO Representative only after you have obtained your immediate supervisor’s approval to serve on the committee.
3. EEO reps must be contract employees. Adjuncts are, however, welcome and encouraged to serve as screening committee members.
- For those chairs of committees (including search committees for positions other than faculty hires) seeking faculty appointees: go to our Committee Request Form to initiate the recruitment process.
Timeline: The Committee on Committees intends to fill your request within two weeks of your initial request date. A solicitation notice with the information you've included on the form will be sent to all City College faculty via email, usually on Mondays (holidays excepted).
- For faculty (full-time and part-time) wishing to be appointed to a committee (other than to a faculty hiring committee-- see above): watch for emails announcing the request for faculty to fill committee appointments. Usually these will go out on Mondays, except holidays. A link to a Google form application will be included in the email for you to complete and submit electronically, usually due by the end of the same week on Friday at 5:00 p.m.
Timeline: A decision should be made by the Committee on Committees within a week of the Google form application's due date.
- For administrators needing Senate Exec Representation: (not a call out for the faculty at large) - Executive Representation Request
Curriculum Review Committee:
Chair: Jennifer Boots
Distance Learning Committee:
Chair: Aileen Gum
Chair: Erin Engstrom
Professional Advancement Committee:
Chair: Lisa Will
|At-Large - Selam Gebrekristos|
|Apprenticeship - (Representation is vacant)|
|Behavioral Sciences - Marie St. George|
|Black Studies - Alazar Tesfamariam|
|Business Studies- Tania Mustafa|
|Chicana/Chicano Studies - Octavio Garcia|
|Communications - Erin Engstrom|
| Consumer and Family Studies
(Child Development/Education) - Denise Blaha
|Cosmetology - Gary Waddy|
|Counseling - Andre Sanz|
|DSPS - Kari Crawford|
|Educational Cultural Complex #1 (Representation is Vacant)|
|Educational Cultural Complex #2 (Representation is Vacant)|
|Engineering and Technologies - Vacant|
|English and Humanities - Paul Lopez|
|Health Exercise Sciences - Paul Greer|
|History/Political Science - Pete Haro|
|Information Technology - Richard Pelletier|
|Languages - Jaime Estrada-Olalde|
|Learning Resource Center - Carol Withers|
|Life Sciences - Sarah Hawkins|
|Mathematics - Brenda Long|
|Nursing Education - Vasugi White|
|Physical Sciences - Gerardo Scappaticci|
|Student Health - Diana Hernandez|
|Visual/Performing Arts - Katie Stone|
|SCHOOLS (ADJUNCT REPRESENTATIVES)|
|Arts, Humanities and Communications - (Representation is Vacant)|
|Behavioral & Social Sciences, and Consumer and Family Studies - Samantha Prado|
|Business, Information Technology and Cosmetology, Engineering & Technologies - Andre Andersen|
|Mathematics, Sciences and Nursing Education - (Representation is vacant)|
|Health, Exercise Sciences and Athletics - Nick Skvarna|
| Off Campus Programs - (Representation is Vacant)
|Student Development & Matriculation - (Representation is Vacant)|
- Questions or Concerns Associated with 10+1 for the Senate Exec Committee - Inquiry/Concern
- Considering Agenda Items for Senate Executive and/or General AS Meeting - Agenda Request