Due to the campus closure, the Academic Senate has cancelled its general meetings for Spring 2020 in MS 140 and held them via Zoom. An email will be sent to you closer to the meeting date with more details. We thank you for your patience.
Ira Garcia, Sr. Secretary
GENERAL MEETINGS ARE HELD via ZOOM and/or IN MS 140
2020 - 2021 SDCC Academic Senate Executive Committee:
President: Masahiro Omae email@example.com (619) 388-3747
Past President: Paul Alexander firstname.lastname@example.org
President of Chairs Cabinet: Nadia Mandilawi email@example.com (619) 388-3420
Secretary: Mona Alsoraimi firstname.lastname@example.org
Treasurer: Darius Spearman email@example.com
Adjunct Officer: Robert Chambers firstname.lastname@example.org
Curriculum Review Committee Chair: Jen Boots email@example.com (619) 388-3264
Statement on Shared Governance
Shared governance, sometimes referred to as participatory governance, is the method in which campus constituent groups makes recommendations and participate in campus decision-making processes. As outlined in the statutory framework below, faculty have a specific role to play within the decision-making process as it pertains to academic and professional matters.
2020-2021 SDCC Academic Senate Meeting Dates
- Academic Senate General Meetings at 2:30 PM - 4:30 PM via Zoom and/or in Room MS 140: 8/31, 9/21, 10/5, 10/19, 11/2, 11/16, 12/7.
- Academic Senate Executive Committee Meetings, via Zoom and/or in Room A-305: days and times will vary: 8/24 (2:30), 9/14 (3:45), 9/28 (2:30), 10/12 (3:45), 10/26 (2:30), 11/9 (3:45), 11/30 (2:30), 12/14 (3:45).
- Academic Senate General Meetings at 2:30 PM - 4:30 PM via Zoom and/or in Room MS 140: 2/22, 3/8, 3/22, 4/12, 4/26, 5/10, 5/24.
- Academic Senate Executive Committee Meetings, via Zoom and/or in Room A-305: days and times will vary: 2/8 (3:45), 3/1 (3:45), 3/15 (2:30), 4/5 (2:30), 4/19 (3:45), 5/3 (2:30), 5/17 (3:45).
COMMITTEE INFORMATION: THE APPOINTMENT PROCESS
Faculty representation on committees is a vital part of shared governance. The SDCC Academic Senate has a Committee on Committees that appoints faculty to committees at the campus, district, or other affiliate level, which includes appointments to ad-hoc committees and to hiring committees for positions other than faculty. Per the Senate Bylaws, membership in newly-established committees as well as vacancies on existing committees are to be filled in this manner. A log of committee appointments is kept by the Academic Senate Secretary.
- ATTENTION: FACULTY HIRING COMMITTEES: The department chair responsible for the faculty position being filled is responsible for completing this form: Request for Academic Senate Review of Faculty Assigned to a Hiring Committee. Please have faculty interested in being on a hiring committee contact whomever is recruiting for that hiring committee (dean, chair of hiring committee, department chair, other designee) in order to be considered for the committee. The Academic Senate Committee on Committees will review the final list as submitted by the department chair of the faculty position in question.
- For those heads of committees (including search committees for positions other than faculty hires) seeking faculty appointees, go to our Committee Request Form to initiate the recruitment process. The Committee on Committees intends to fill your request within about 2 weeks of your initial request date. A solicitation notice with the information you've included on the form will be sent to all City College faculty via email, usually on Mondays (holidays excepted).
- For faculty wishing to be appointed to a committee (other than to a faculty hiring
committee-- see above), watch for emails announcing the request for faculty to fill committee appointments.
Usually these will go out on Mondays, except holidays. A link to a Google form application
will be included in the email for you to complete and submit electronically, usually
due by the end of the same week on Friday at 5:00 p.m. A decision should be made by
the Committee on Committees within a week of the Google form application's due date.
SDCC ACADEMIC SENATE STANDING COMMITTEES
Curriculum Review Committee:
Chair: Jennifer Boots
Distance Learning Committee:
Co-Chairs: Aileen Gum and David King
Members: Monica Hernandez, John Mercurio, Andrea Milburn, Pamela Moses; Sandra Pesce, Carolyn Thomas.
Chair: Erin Engstrom
Members: Marie St. George
Professional Advancement Committee:
Chair: Lisa Will
Members: Guillermo Alvarez, Cassondra Caesar, Sheylia Castillo, Virginia Escalante, Aileen Gum, M. Shane Haggard, LeeAnn Taylor
SDCC Academic Senate Membership Representation
|At-Large - Doc (Juan) Rivera|
|Apprenticeship - (Representation is vacant)|
|Behavioral Sciences - Marie St. George|
|Black Studies - (Representation is vacant)|
|Business Studies- Tania Serhan|
|Chicana/Chicano Studies - Justin Akers|
|Communications - Erin Engstrom|
| Consumer and Family Studies
(Child Development/Education) - Berta Harris
|Cosmetology - Tynesha Sett|
|Counseling - Andre Sanz|
|DSPS - Kari Crawford|
|Educational Cultural Complex #1 (Representation is Vacant)|
|Educational Cultural Complex #2 (Representation is Vacant)|
|Engineering and Technologies - Justin Bond|
|English and Humanities - Ebony Tyree|
|Health Exercise Sciences - Paul Greer|
|History/Political Science - Pete Haro|
|Information Technology - Richard Pelletier|
|Languages - (vacant)|
|Learning Resource Center - Carol Withers|
|Life Sciences - Kevin Jagnandan|
|Mathematics - Brenda Long|
|Nursing Education - Anita Johnson|
|Physical Sciences - Gerardo Scappaticci|
|Visual/Performing Arts - Mike Espar|
|SCHOOLS (ADJUNCT REPRESENTATIVES)|
|Arts, Humanities and Communications - (Representation is Vacant)|
|Behavioral & Social Sciences, and Consumer and Family Studies - Angelica Gonzalez|
|Business, Information Technology and Cosmetology - (Representation is Vacant )|
|Engineering & Technologies, Mathematics, Sciences and Nursing - (Representation is vacant)|
|Health, Exercise Sciences and Athletics - (Representation is Vacant)|
| Off Campus Programs - (Representation is Vacant)