On October 12, 2001, Governor Gray Davis signed into law Assembly Bill 540 (Stats. 2001, ch. 814) adding a new section, 68130.5, to the California Education Code. Section 68130.5 created a new exemption from the payment of non-resident tuition for certain non-resident students who have attended high school in California and received a high school diploma or its equivalent. Over the years eligibility requirements have been expanded. AB 540 is often referred to as the AB 540 Affidavit or the California Nonresident Tuition Exemption.
- Must be a California High School Graduate
- Minimum of 3 years attendance in a California High School
- Whether you are a US citizen, permanent resident, DACA, hold T or U visa status, or are an alien without lawful immigration status (undocumented) you can apply
- What is AB540: AB 540 Bill
- Must bring official sealed high school transcripts are required with Diploma or GED Certificate.